Pepperell Branch Watershed Project
About the Pepperell Branch Watershed Partnership:
The goal of the Pepperell Branch Watershed Partnership is to develop a plan to establish and implement best management practices that will improve the water quality in Pepperell Branch by reducing pollution sources throughout the watershed. The ultimate goal is for the creek to meet water quality standards all year long.
This citizen directed project will result in the production of a watershed management plan (WMP) that has been developed with insight from local stakeholders and governmental entities. The WMP will identify implementable best management practices that are based on the goals of water quality improvement and watershed protection.
A comprehensive watershed approach will be used with concentrations on the most significant sources of pollution contributing to the impairments. Public engagement is encouraged.Â
Please contact Nikki Dictson(Alabama Cooperative Extension) if you are interested in participating!
Pepperell Branch Events:
- November 8, 3:00-5:00 pm – Public Pepperell Branch Watershed Bus Tour. Meet the bus at 2:45 pm at Southern Union parking lot and the tour will begin at 3 pm. We will drive along roads close to the watershed boundary so that everyone can get a feel for the area within the watershed. Stops at Monkey Park, Cunningham Bridge, and downtown.
- Saturday, Oct. 27 at 8 am – Storm Drain Marking Volunteer Event (See photos here)
- October 18, 3-5 pm – First Pepperell Branch Partnership Meeting at the Opelika Planning Commission Chamber, Public Works Building, 700 Fox Trail.
- September 18, 2018 Kick off Public Meeting – Opelika City Council Chamber (Agenda)
- Saturday, March 2, 2019 at 8 am – Creek Cleanup and Environmental Fair
View our Project Timeline Here
Publicity on Pepperell Branch Watershed:
- Pepperell Branch Watershed Project in Opelika Underway
- New grant funds research to improve water quality in Opelika
- Opelika Officials Work to Improve Water Quality
- Storm Drain Marking Event, October 27
- City of Opelika Pepperell Branch Watershed Management Plan Springs Into Action
- City of Opelika Public Meeting for Pepperell Branch Watershed Management Plan Set For September 18
- WSFA News TV interview 9/30/18
- Opelika Auburn News (OANOW.com) 09/31/18
Maps of Pepperell Branch Watershed:
- Pepperell – Saugahatchee Watershed Map
- Pepperell Branch and tributaries
- Pepperell Watershed with roads and tributaries
- Pepperell Watershed with Alabama Water Watch and ADEM water testing sites
*This project was fully funded by the Alabama Department of Environmental Management through a Clean Water Act Section 319(h) nonpoint source grant provided by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency – Region 4