Charles C. Mitchell
Extension Specialist Professor
Crop, Soil and Environmental Sciences faculty
Nutrient Management/Soil Science
|1980||Ph.D., Univ. of Florida (Soil Science)|
|1973||M.S., Auburn University (Soil Science)|
|1970||B.S., Birmingham Southern College (Biology)|
- Maintain and update Auburn University’s long-term soil fertility experiments, keep records, and periodically publish data from 15 on going experiments statewide.
- Monitor effects of long-term nutrient applications on soil accumulations and losses.
- Assure that A.U.’s recommendations based on soil tests are up-to-date and research-based.
- Evaluate industrial, municipal, and agricultural waste for land application as sources of plant
- Evaluate crop nutrient needs and sources as related to sustainable agricultural systems.
- Conduct programs, classes, workshops, and other extension outreach programs related to soils,
plant nutrition, fertilizers and environmental quality (e.g., grower meetings, Master Gardener
classes, waste management workshops).
- Develop educational materials related to land application of manures and other agricultural and
- Serve as a liaison with the fertilizer and agricultural industry.
- Conduct on-site demonstrations related to soils and plant nutrition.
|1995-present||Extension Agronomist & Professor, Auburn University|
|1989-1995||Ext. Agron. & Assoc. Professor, Auburn University|
|1984-1989||Ext. Agron. & Assist. Professor, Auburn University|
|1980-1984||Ext. Lab Director & Lecturer, Clemson University|
Honors & Awards:
- Extension Communication Award. 2003. Presented by Ala. Association of County Agric. Agents
and Specialists in category of Learning Module for development of Master Gardener Learning Module
in “Soils, Plant Nutrition, and Fertilizers”.
- Educational Materials Award – Poster Division. 2002. Presented by Amer. Soc. Agronomy for
outstanding poster in Division A-04.
- Environmental Merit Award. 2000. Presented by US-EPA Region IV for extension waste management
- Alabama Master Gardener recognition. 1995. Presented by Ala. Master Gardeners Assoc. for "
Outstanding Service and Dedication”.
- Teamwork in Extension Award. 1992. Presented by Epsilon Sigma Phi.
- Environmental Achievement Award. 1990. Presented by Scott Paper Company for bioash recycling
- Educational Materials Award. 1992. Presented by American Society of Agronomy for extension
publication, “Land Application of Sludge,” by C.C. Mitchell and J.Muse.
Professional Societies Memberships:
- University Campus Planning Committee. 1999-2002
- AAES Soil Test Service Committee, Co-chair. 1988-present
- College of Agriculture Planning Committee. 2003
- College of Agriculture Ag. Heritage Park Committee, 1999-present
- ACES Search Committee, Assist. Director and Program Leader. 2002
- Soil Science Society of America S-877 (Soil Testing) Committee Chair, 1999
- College of Agriculture Ag. Roundup Chairman, 1994.