||Ph.D., Ohio State University (Plant Pathology)
||M.S., Cornell University (Plant Pathology)
||B.S., Cornell University (Biology)
||Assistant Professor, Auburn University
||Postdoctoral Researcher, Ohio State University
HONORS AND AWARDS:
- Certificate of Excellence, 2003 ASA Educational Awards Program for publication, Best Management Practices for Alabama Sod Production.
PROFESSIONAL SOCIETIES MEMBERSHIP:
- Curriculum Committee, Agronomy and Soils, 2003-present
- Soil Test Services Committee, Agronomy and Soils, 2000-present
- Extension Education Committee, Crop Science Society of America, 2002-present
- Turfgrass Pathology Committee, American Phytopathological Society, 2000-2003
- Administrative & Professional Staff Awards Committee, College of Agriculture, 2003.
As an extension specialist, my responsibilities include keeping the public informed of the latest developments in turfgrass management practices. I provide support and training for county extension agents in turf-related areas and publish fact sheets, bulletins, timely information sheets, Web publications and articles for industry publications and mass media on current topics in turf. I also develop and maintain educational programs for the golf course superintendent, sod farmer, athletic field or park groundskeeper, professional lawn care provider, homeowner and other turf managers. Examples include serving as the educational advisor to the Alabama Turfgrass Association, conducting the lawn care training portions of the Master Gardener and Certified Nurseryman programs, speaking to educational sessions of the Golf Course Superintendents Association chapters in Alabama and participating in Extension field days and seminars on turfgrass management. My extension program includes conducting applied research to develop more effective and environmentally friendly turfgrass management techniques for use in the turf industry with an emphasis on reducing the use of high-risk pesticides. I also teach Agronomy 6150, Advanced Turfgrass Management, for students interested in careers in the turf industry.
||Advanced Turfgrass Management
- Hoitink, H.A.J., M.S. Krause and D.Y. Han. 2001. Spectrum and mechanisms of plant disease control with composts. Pp. 263-273 In: Compost utilization in horticultural cropping systems. D.J. Stoffella and B.A. Kahn, Eds. Lewis Publishers: Washington, DC. 414pp
- Han, D.Y., J.W. Rimelspach and M.J. Boehm. 2000. Evaluation of Pseudomonas aureofaciens TX-1 for control of dollar spot on creeping bentgrass. Biological and Cultural Tests for Control of Plant Diseases 15:48-49
- Han, D.Y., Coplin, D.L., Bauer, W.D. and Hoitink, H.A.J. 2000. Induction of systemic resistance to bacterial leaf spot of radish by Pantoea agglomerans E278Ar from compost in a novel growth pouch bioassay. Phytopathology 90:327-341.
- Zhang W., Han, D.Y., Dick W.A., Davis K.R., and Hoitink, H.A.J. 1998. Compost and compost water extract-induced systemic acquired resistance in cucumber and Arabidopsis. Phytopathology 88:450-455.
- Hoitink, H.A.J., Stone, A.G., and Han, D.Y. 1997. Suppression of plant diseases by composts. HortScience 32: 184-187.